Call for a Professorial Fellow for the "Taiwan Studies Programme"
Ghent University, Groningen University, Georg-August Universität Göttingen, the University of Tartu and the Department of International and Cross-Strait Education (DICE), MoE, Taiwan have launched a call for a professorial fellow for the "Taiwan Studies Programme.
The “Taiwan Studies Programme at UGent/RUG/UGOE/UTartu” has a duration of 3 academic years from the effective date of the signing by the Ministry of Education (MOE), Republic of China (Taiwan). The goal of this Call for applications for YEAR 2 is twofold as we aim to find: 1) a candidate (Taiwan Chair holder) for the first semester of the new academic year 2023- 2024 in the University of Tartu (Estonia) 2) a candidate (Taiwan Chair holder) for the second semester of the new academic year 2023- 2024 in the University of Goettingen (Germany). The professorial fellowship offered by the programme in the framework of this first call for applications may be occupied by one or more persons in sequence, with a minimum of 4 months and a maximum of 8 months per stay per year. With regard to research and teaching activities and subject to compliance with applicable university laws, the Professorial Fellow (academic scholar) shall be treated equally as professors (academic staff) at the partner universities.
The parties agree that the Professorial Fellow’s activities under and in connection with this MoU shall comply with the rules of good scientific practice under which the university partners to this MoU are operating. DICE will provide the Professorial Fellow with a monthly allowance and a round-trip international airline ticket. Additionally, Ghent University/the University of Groningen/Georg-August Universität Göttingen and the University of Tartu, when acting as the respective hosting institution, will provide the Professorial Fellow with housing. Furthermore, Ghent University/the University of Groningen/the Georg-August Universität Göttingen and the University of Tartu will provide the Professorial Fellow with all necessary facilities such as office space, a computer and secretarial support.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The entire duration of the professorial fellowship should be exercised during the academic year 2023-2024 (2 nd year of our new Taiwan Studies Programme) . We would like to draw your special attention to the fact that the selected candidate for the 2nd semester in the University of Goettingen (Germany) will have to organize a workshop during her/his mobility period there.
- PhD in Social Sciences, Political Sciences or History and Culture (preferably with focus on politics, international relations, law, economics, soft power or intellectual visions)
- Expertise with research on Taiwanese and East Asian studies ▪ Expertise with education on Taiwanese and East Asian studies
- Good command of English (spoken and written)
- Ability to teach on EU-East Asia relations at MA level; involvement in the MA course EU-East Asia relations
- Ability to organize research seminars for PhD students in areas such as EU external relations, international relations, Taiwanese/ East Asian studies Candidates for the Professorial Fellowship shall be selected from any university or institution of higher learning in the Republic of China (Taiwan). The Professorial Fellow selected shall preferably be an/a (associate) professor on sabbatical leave from the Republic of China (Taiwan), and shall have minimal qualifications as a Ph.D. holder.
- The Professorial Fellow will teach Taiwan Studies related classes on one or more aspects of international relations in an East Asian context. The term 'international relations' broadly encompasses the areas of: foreign policy; global and regional governance; international law; international political economy; IR theory; security studies; and global/transregional history.
- The Professorial Fellow who will hold the chair at the University of Groningen will also have to organize a workshop related to her/his teaching.
- The Professorial Fellow shall submit a report to DICE and to the Faculty Boards of Ghent University/the University of Groningen/Georg-August Universität Göttingen and the University of Tartu regarding her or his academic work at the end of each appointment period. The Ministry and Ghent University/the University of Groningen/Georg-August Universität Göttingen and the University of Tartu may publish the said report.
- Each Professorial Fellows will provide 1 news article along with photos of their Taiwan Studies related activities, such as lectures, workshops, courses, etc., to upload on the Taiwan Studies website per academic year.
Documents that should be submitted:
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter
- Letter of consent and recommendation letter of your home institution signed by the relevant responsible person in your faculty/college/school
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS:
Deadline for applications both for the University of Tartu (Estonia) and Georg-August Universität Göttingen (Germany): Wednesday 31 May – 12:00 CET.
Please send your applications to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org The selection results will be announced by the middle of June 2023 after a selection committee in both relevant hosting universities has been able to select a candidate.