2023 Huayu (Mandarin Chinese) Enrichment Scholarship for Students at Tartu University
The Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) Program established by Taiwan’s Ministry of Education (MOE) and implemented by the Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium is to encourage students and individuals to undertake Mandarin Chinese language study at a university- or college-affiliated Mandarin training center in Taiwan. This program also aims to:
- Help scholarship recipients acquire a better command of Mandarin Chinese, and hence a greater understanding and appreciation of Taiwan’s culture;
- Promote friendship between people in Taiwan and in countries around the world; and
- Generate opportunities to increase exchange with international educational institutions.
Quotas, Value and Duration:
- 6 months of language scholarships: A monthly stipend of NT$ 25,000 (Exchange rate 26/9/2022: 1 euro = 30,8 NT$) over the course of 3 months or 6 months during the period from September 1st, 2023 through August 31st, 2024.
- Please note that a 2-month scholarship is also possible, but only for a summer course taking place in June-July or July-August, 2023.
If recipients fail to come to Taiwan for enrolment during their chosen time, they will forfeit their right to retain their scholarships. Scholarship funding will become effective on the date of the recipient’s enrolment. Scholarship funding will end on the month of the expiration of the scholarship or if the scholarship is revoked. Recipients are expected to remain at their language courses until the very end of the final semester covered by the scholarship period. It would not be acceptable to miss the final weeks (in order to travel, take up employment, etc.) and to do so will negatively affect the quota of scholarships allocated to applicants in future years.
An applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older,
- Have a high school diploma or above
- Currently have a full-time enrollment status at Tartu University
- Have an excellent academic performance in his/her most recent formal educational study experience
- Be of good moral character
Candidates to whom one or more of the following criteria apply are ineligible for the Scholarship:
- Overseas Chinese students (including those from mainland China, HK and Macao and nationals of the R.O.C.
- Those currently studying Mandarin in Taiwan or who have studied a degree programme in Taiwan.
- Those who will be an exchange student to Taiwan under an agreement between partner institutions in Estonia and Taiwan during the scholarship period.
- Those who have previously received a HES or a Taiwan Scholarship.
- Those currently receiving financial benefits from the Taiwan government or other educational institutions.
Application period for the Huayu Enrichtment scholarships is from February 1st through April 15th , 2023.
The required application documents should reach the Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium before April 15th , 2023. To obtain an application form, please contact the Education Division of the Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium or download from : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cFhoGRfyJ6S7fGZ5G5Qw0WHY1X_sXJE…
- One copy of the completed application form.
- One photocopy of passport or other nationality certificates.
- One photocopy of the highest-level diploma and a complete grade transcript. N.B. These documents must be legalized by a Taiwan overseas representative office, if issued by educational institutions outside of Estonia
- Two letters of recommendation
- Photocopies of the applications to the Mandarin Language Centers. (Applicants are required to apply for admission to the language center(s) of their choice. Copies of these applications need to be added to the scholarship application after they have been sent out. Upon receiving an admission letter, you need to add a copy of this letter to your scholarship file, at latest by the end of June 2022)
- A photocopy of the results of a Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language (TOCFL).
Selection and notification
The Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium will review and select eligible scholarship candidates as well as alternatives and will notify them by the end of May 2023.
The eligible scholarship candidates are required to submit a copy of their school admission letter to the Education Division of Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium by no later than the end of June 2023. Late submission of this document after the deadline will be deemed as a waiver for accepting the scholarship. In this case, the alternative(s) will be informed to fill any vacancy(s). The Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium will send a scholarship award certificate to all qualified recipients before the end of July 2023.
(This information is subject to change. Please check our website www.taiwanembassy.org/be for the latest information) Information about studying in Taiwan can be found on the website: http://www.studyintaiwan.org/
Education Division, Taipei Representative Office in the EU and Belgium
Square de Meeûs 27, 1000-Brussels
Tel: 02-2872835 Fax: 02-5131952